This episode covers Chapter 65 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. Its a big intro into the next few chapters covering forensic medicine in the emergency department. Tighten up those boot straps, this stuff is heavy!
- What are some pearls and pitfalls for ER physicians when dealing with Forensic Emergency Medicine?
- What are proper terms used to describe wound injury patterns?
- What’s the anatomy of a cartridge (bullet)? What are the types and important aspects of wound ballistics?
- What signs would you see for the various ranges of fire of a bullet?
- What are common red flags to alert you to the possibility of domestic violence? What risk factors make domestic violence more common?
- Describe the different types of blunt force pattern injuries and the pathophysiology of how they occur. Do the same for sharp force and thermal wounds.
- What does the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act permit a physician to disclose to the investigating law enforcement officer?