Jul 3, 2017
This episode covers Chapter 89 of Rosen’s
Emergency 8th edition (or chapter 79 of 9th edition). Great review
of some old concepts already presented, add a few spritzers of new
- List the the types of dysphagia. What is an ED approach
to this condition?
- What are 4 areas of narrowing in the esophagus that FBs get
- List 8 causes of esophageal obstruction & List 3 therapies
for a food bolus.
- What are the indications for removal of an esophageal foreign
- What are the indications for removal of a gastric foreign
- List 6 causes of esophageal perforation – where does the
perforation usually happen?
- List 4 CXR findings of esophageal perforation and 3 other
studies that can be performed.
- What is the ED management of a patient with esophageal
- List causes of esophagitis.
- List 10 agents or conditions associated with GERD and list 3
complications of GERD
- List 6 lifestyle modifications for someone with GERD and 3
- List 6 causes of gastritis and 6 ddx
- List the 2 main causes of PUD and describe the management of
- How are prostaglandins used the setting of GI disorders?
- What are the types of gastric volvulus? List risk factors for
each. Describe the ED management.
- Differentiate between chest pain from ACS and
that of an esophageal origin.
- What is the mechanism of NSAID toxicity in PUD? List 3
at risk populations and 2 methods of preventing PUD in these
- List 4 features of chest pain in PUD and 4
complications of PUD
- What is Borchardt’s triad?
- Describe the mechanism of action of H2 blockers and
- What are the potential complications of antacid