Mar 20, 2017
This episode covers Chapter 67 of Rosen’s
Emergency Medicine. Its a heavy topic, but important to get
- What precautions should be taken prior to engaging in
potential sexual abuse cases?
- What information can be useful in determining the location and
likelihood of injury in sexual assault?
- What is the prevalence of mental illness in sexual assault
patients? Which populations are found to have a higher
proportion of mental illness? What effect does mental illness
have on the severity of the attack?
- What factors make genital injury more likely to be observed?
- What are the risks of STI's after sexual assault?
- What are appropriate treatments for STI prophylaxis in cases of
suspected sexual abuse/assault?
- What resources exist to help medical providers and any victims
of sexual abuse?
- What differences should be considered with male victims of
Thank-you to Dr. Sampsel for her
assistance with this episode!