Aug 23, 2019
Today on First Year Diaries I am joined by Dr. David Carr, a
University Health Network emergency physician, renowned medical
education speaker, and Toronto Blue Jays physician. In this
episode, I asked him to impart his wisdom to new staff physicians
like myself and share his approaches to a successful career in
medicine. Later in the interview, we also discuss workflow
strategies for the ED, common mistakes made by new physicians, and
tips on how to maintain wellness/avoid burnout.
- 01:57 – 03:05 - Can you please introduce yourself?
(name, training, where you work, interests,
- 03:05 – 04:45 – Tell me about your philosophy, and
what your career trajectory has been?
- 04:55 – 08:07 – How can new physicians get to
become an educator like you?
- 08:07 – 12:43 – Do you have any tips for new
physicians looking to reach their goals, and become a
well-respected physician like yourself?
- 12:43 – 27:56 – Can you tell us about how you
manage department flow efficiently and safely, especially during
- 20:41 – 23:56 – Tips to effectively manage flow
- 23:56 – 27:56 – Tips to effectively manage learners
- 27:56 – 32:45 – What are some mistakes that you’ve
seen new physicians make? (Either clinical or
- 32:45 – 36:38 – What can new staff do to keep their
wellness intact and avoid burnout? What are some strategies you
- 36:36 – 38:28 – Do you have any final comments you
would like to share?