This episode covers Chapter 79 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine.
All those funny squigly marks on the ECG confusing you? Us too. Here is some knowledge to help you out.
Here is the follow-up to the mammoth ACS chapter. This one has some key factoids to put into your mind map / memory pallace / organic computer.
This episode covers Chapter 78 of Rosen's Emergency Medicine. Acute Coronary Syndromes... its a gooder.
Acute Coronary Syndromes Part A (Monday)
What are the STEMI equivalents? Know these patterns!!!
This episode covers Chapter 77 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. The Pleural Space is not to be trifled with!
This episode covers Chapter 76 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. Have you ever seen pneumonia? Yeah.... we thought so. Now here are all the nitty-gritty details.
What are the typical associative pathogens?
Describe the typical clinical presentation/RFs/Management for each of the following
-Mycoplasma pneumoniae & Chlamydia pneumoniae
-PJP & Other Fungal Pneumsonia
List the typical etiologies of viral pneumonia.
Which patient groups should receive pneumovax?
Which pneumonias can present with cavitating lesions (abscesses) on x-ray
What is the differential for possible pneumonia visible on CXR?
Describe the analysis of pleural fluid.
-Which effusions should be sampled?
-What are Light's criteria?
What is the CURB65 score?
This episode covers Chapter 75 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine.
1. List potential causes of pharyngitis. (List 5 viral and 5 bacterial etiology of pharyngitis)
2. What are the indications for steroids in a patient with pharyngitis?
3. List causes of epiglottitis.
4. What are the deep spaces of the neck? List 4 deep space infections of the neck
5. What are the typical bacterial causes of deep space infections? What are the different syndromes called?
6. What are the potential complications of deep space neck/face infections? List 5.
7. When do the sinuses typically develop?
8. What the pathophysiology of sinusitis? What are the typical pathogens?
9. Describe the management of acute rhinosinusitis and list 6 predisposing factors
List 5 suppurative and 5 non-suppurative complications of GABHS
List 4 findings on lateral neck xray of epiglottitis
Describe an approach to airway management in deep space neck infections
What are lateral neck xray findings suspicious for RPA?
This episode covers Chapter 74 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. As Vanilla is to chocolate, COPD is to Asthma. Look for all things wheez-e-y here.
This episode covers Chapter 73 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. The ancient Greeks knew about Asthma... so should you! We give you all the major points for diagnosis and treatment in the ED.
This episode covers Chapter 72 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. All those pearls you need for ears, masses, nose bleeds and weird stones in weird places.
This episode covers Chapter 71 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. For such a small organ, the eye has A LOT of things to cover. Here we finish up in everything you need to know about that juicy ball of potential badness.
This episode covers Chapter 70 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine.
This episode covers Chapter 69 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine.
1. List six types of elder abuse?
2. List ten risk factors for elder abuse?
3. List ten questions to screen for elder abuse?
4. What are some indicators on the medical history and physical exam that may suggest ongoing elder abuse?
5. Discuss ethical and legal implications of elder abuse. Who needs to be reported?
This episode covers Chapter 67 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. Its a heavy topic, but important to get right.
Thank-you to Dr. Sampsel for her assistance with this episode!
This episode covers Chapter 65 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. Its a big intro into the next few chapters covering forensic medicine in the emergency department. Tighten up those boot straps, this stuff is heavy!
This episode covers Chapter 64 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. Worried about what to do with those patient's coming in with their skin melting off from a chemical exposure? We've got you covered.
1) Describe the difference between Alkali and Acid injuries
2) Describe a HAZMAT response on scene
3) Describe the decontamination of an individual
4) List PPE for first responders or caregivers
-Name two acids that cause damage through liquefactive necrosis
-List Chemical Agents used in Warfare / Terrorism
-What chemicals should you NOT irrigate with water?
This episode of CRACKCast covers Rosen’s Chapter 63, Thermal Burns. These patients are often the sickest in the department and many are on their way to the ICU. There are life-saving interventions that are begun in the emergency department with significant impacts on morbidity and mortality, and many are discussed in this episode.
This episode covers Chapter 62 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. Does leaving the comfort of your warm, safe bed scare you? After this chapter, it might...
This episode covers Chapter 61 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. Know anything about mammalian bites...? Yeah, neither did we until we read this chapter. Lots of juicy clinical pearls.
This episode of CRACKCast covers Rosen’s Chapter 60, Foreign Bodies. This episode covers an approach to foreign bodies, including location specific tips, complications and safe removal in the ED.
In the third episode of the Physicians as Humans project, I corresponded with a Canadian emergency physician who sent me her personal account of depression. The result is this beautiful, thoughtful story that she has graciously allowed me to read for the podcast.
This is an ongoing project, so if you or anyone you know have a story about managing personal struggles while in medicine, please contact email@example.com.
Music for Episode 02 (All songs have been modified for the project)
This episode of CRACKCast covers Rosen’s Chapter 59, Wound Management Principles. This episode covers the nitty-gritty details of wound management and what you need to know to get that perfect wound closure!
1) List risk factors for wound infection
2) List the 5 stages of wound healing
3) List toxic doses of local anesthetics
4) 3 types of wound closure?
5) List advantages of and contraindications of tissue adhesives
6) List indications for tetanus immune prophylaxis
7) List 5 specific wound care instructions
8) List 7 situations where antibiotic prophylaxis is indicated in wound management
Evidence guided tips for scar healing?
How to decrease pain of anaesthetic injection?
Where can I find a concise guide to Suture material use?
This episode covers Chapter 58 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine: Orthopaedic Ankle and Foot injuries. Its a gooder for sure.