This episode covers Chapter 67 of Rosen’s Emergency Medicine. Its a heavy topic, but important to get right.
- What precautions should be taken prior to engaging in potential sexual abuse cases?
- What information can be useful in determining the location and likelihood of injury in sexual assault?
- What is the prevalence of mental illness in sexual assault patients? Which populations are found to have a higher proportion of mental illness? What effect does mental illness have on the severity of the attack?
- What factors make genital injury more likely to be observed? Less likely?
- What are the risks of STI's after sexual assault?
- What are appropriate treatments for STI prophylaxis in cases of suspected sexual abuse/assault?
- What resources exist to help medical providers and any victims of sexual abuse?
- What differences should be considered with male victims of sexual assault?
Thank-you to Dr. Sampsel for her assistance with this episode!