This podcast covers Chapter 93 of Rosen's 8th Edition Emergency Medicine (or Chapter 83 if you've got the new-shiny 9th edition).
All hail to the appendix. The pluto of our organs.
- List 8 ddx for appendicitis
- List 5 causes of acute appendiceal obstruction and describe the pathophysiology of appendicitis including pain location
- List 5 PEX findings in appendicitis. Describe how the presentation of appendicitis is different in peds, pregnant women, and elderly.
- List 2 advantages and disadvantages each for CT and US in the diagnosis of appendicitis. What is the sensitivity/specificity of ↑WBC
- Describe a clinical pathway for the diagnosis and management of appendicitis.
- When are antibiotics indicated?
1) Which patient groups present atypically
2) Describe the Alvarado Score and the Ped for Appendicitis
3) What are U/S findings of appendicitis?